Recent news in tech in a clamshell
Including The Best of the JDK Face-Off, Java Magazine 2020 May, Free eBooks from Springer, Spring Boot 2.3, Raspberry Pi 4 and more.
The Best of the JDK Face-Off
We’re excited to kick off the Best of the JDK Feature Face-Off! We’ll be posting matchups below and letting you vote for your favorite JDK features. Let’s get started with Round 1. #MovedbyJava— Java (@java) May 26, 2020
And if you want to read up on more info, check our blog: https://t.co/Z4lJlv2dBD pic.twitter.com/SoKIt0Qopc
In the coming weeks, via the Java team’s Twitter @Java account, you will see matchups of key features laid out in four different brackets:
- Runtime You’ll have the opportunity to cast your vote via a Twitter poll that will run 24 hours for each posted matchup. Each progressive day will offer a new matchup until there are only two finalists to face off against each other. This competition will run socially over @Java through the next several weeks until there’s one feature left standing!
Choose an OpenJDK distribution: http://www.jchoice.eu/
Java Magazine 2020 May
Java Magazine 2020 May is out.
If you don’t know what does WAT mean, check out this lightning talk: Wat by Gary Bernhardt.
Just to give equal time to Java, #WAT? pic.twitter.com/SXOjE9EmqA— Joshua Bloch (@joshbloch) May 21, 2020
What will be the output of this code?#100DaysOfCode #CodeNewbie pic.twitter.com/Aymb1p5OzF
Or this one is in bash: Take care editing bash scripts
Free eBooks from Springer
Springer just made 400+ textbooks free to download, including CS books on Python, deep learning, data science & AI.— MIT CSAIL (@MIT_CSAIL) May 4, 2020
Full list: https://t.co/Ny9NWjPeB1#MondayMotivation #ML #DeepLearning #AI #CS #BigData #Python #Scala #TensorFlow #Programming #Coding pic.twitter.com/0XQ0m5j0qR
JNation 2020 is a free onine conference with pretty solid schedule.
Cloudflare Speed Test
With speed.cloudflare.com you can measure the speed and also the consistency of your connection. The tests run on the Cloudflare network so probably you can test against a data-center that is close to you.
Stalk Studio is a trace analysis tool for Jaeger and Zipkin, check out the features.
Spring Boot 2.3
Spring Boot 2.3 was released a few weeks ago with some pretty great features:
- Java 14 support and updated dependencies
- Awesome Docker support
- Liveness and Readiness Probes
- Better Graceful Shutdown Support
Check out the Release Notes
I love the new @SpringBoot 2.3 release. It's hard to pick any single thing or theme, but I love the features that make my software even more relevant on @kubernetesio and in the cloud.— Josh Long (@starbuxman) May 20, 2020
Here's a list of some of the features I love...
Developer Culture Test
The Pragmatic Engineer’s Developer Culture Test
Raspberry Pi 4
Raspberry Pi 4 was released, check out the specs:
- Quad core ARM v8 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
- 2GB, 4GB or 8GB RAM
- WiFi: 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz 802.11ac; Bluetooth: 5.0, BLE
- Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
- 40 pin GPIO header
- 2 micro-HDMI ports
- DSI display port, CSI camera port
- 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
The Day AppGet Died
The story of how Microsoft embraced and then killed AppGet
Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2020
Nearly 65,000 took Stack Overflow’s annual survey.